Many enjoy celebrating while watching their favorite team during the World Cup. Some celebrations may include consumption of alcohol. Drunk driving is more common than it should be. In fact it is one of the most common causes of accidents. If you are planning to celebrate, be sure you make arrangements beforehand to get home safely.
Drinking And Driving
When you get behind the wheel of a car, you assume responsibility, not only for your own safety, but also that of every other driver, cyclist or pedestrian you encounter on your travels. You could potentially harm yourself and other road users.
- Plan a safe ride home before your plans.
- Designate a sober driver and leave your car keys at home.
- Make sure everybody in the car wears a seat belt.
- Always have a back up plan in case changes happen to your original plan.
- Use public transportation, taxis, or a rideshare program if needed.
- Drive carefully even if you’re the designated driver, other people on the road may have been drinking.
- Look out for pedestrians who may have been drinking.
- Keep your eyes on the road for potential incoming traffic.
Cyclists and Pedestrians
Alcohol can also affect cyclists and pedestrians. Just as drinking affects your ability to control a car, it also affects your proficiency in cycling. If you’ve been drinking, don’t attempt to cycle home. Drinking can also impair the judgment of pedestrians. Safety is key when you have been drinking. As it is a good thing you are not driving, it is also not the safest to walk home. Use a rideshare program or call a family member or friend to come get you. Be sure to wear high visibility clothing when walking or cycling home at night. Being seen by others around you is an important factor in your safety. Be aware of your surroundings and be sure to use designated sidewalks. Only cross at crosswalks when signaled to and walk in well lit areas. Your safety is important and should be taken into account before you head out to your World Cup watch party.
Call The 4s!
Should you need us, you can always contact us at (210) 444-4444, (956) 444-4444 or (361) 999-9999. Davis Law Firm is here 24/7 for you! Our team of legal representatives offer free initial consultation. Enjoy rooting for your favorite teams and stay safe on your way back home. Even if you have not been drinking, be sure to watch for other drivers and pedestrians who may have been. Drive defensively and be aware of your surroundings.