Being apart from family and loved ones can be difficult, especially when you’re in different countries. Luckily, many types of family-based immigration petitions and visas are available to help you and your loved ones to reunite in the United States.

Immediate Relatives

The U.S. makes it fairly quick and easy for the parents, minor children and spouses of U.S. citizens to immigrate to the United States. In most situations, the citizen family member will simply need to file an I-30 immigration petition on behalf of their loved one. At the same time, the parent, spouse or child can file an I-485, and request to adjust their status to Permanent Resident.

In cases when the alien family member is not currently in the U.S., the citizen must request that the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office contact the U.S. Consulate in the country where the family member currently resides. Once the immigration petition is approved, they can visit the consulate and apply for an immigrant visa there.

Other Family Members

There are also family-based immigration petitions and visa available for adult children, married children and siblings of U.S. citizens. These groups are considered first-preference, third-preference and fourth-preference immigrants respectively, and they are eligible to obtain residency according to the preference group they fall into. Additionally, the U.S. limits how many of these individuals can be admitted into the country every year, so it’s possible that it may take some time for these groups to gain admittance, especially those in the third and fourth preference groups.

Spouses and Children of Permanent Residents

For those who have permanent resident status, but are not yet U.S. citizens, their spouses and any unmarried children may be permitted to file an immigration petition and seek permanent residency. These individuals are considered second-preference, and are subject to annual numerical limits set by the federal government.

The Davis Law Firm Can Help

Our immigration attorneys would love to assist you and your family through the complex process of applying for U.S. citizenship or residency. To learn more about family-based immigration petitions or visas, contact the Davis Law firm today at 800-770-0127 or 210-444-4444, or submit a form here.

Jeff's Here 4 You

To learn more about how we can fight for your interests and your future, please contact our law offices today for a free initial consultation.

Find A Location Live Chat